IAE Pau-Bayonne > Getting settled

Getting settled


Documents you should bring with you

  • Passport
  • Driver’s license
  • Proof of insurance
  • ID photos
  • Birth certificate with official translation in French


Getting to Bayonne



Planning your budget


Move-in fees: 1 month rental + 2 months rental deposit Approx. 700 €
Exchange student tuition fees FREE
Non exchange student tuition fees 4000 €- 6100 € depending on program
Social security (mandatory under 28 years old) 90 €
Complementary health insurance Approx. 160 €/1 year (non mandatory)
OFII procedure 60 €
Accommodation From 320 € to 500 €
Food 200 €
Telephone/internet 2 – 20 €
Bus pass 16 €
Housing insurance (with LCL bank) 5 €/month (mandatory)




Residence Permit

Students belonging to the UE, the EEA and Switzerland do not need a visa to study in France. Other international students will need to apply for a Long Stay Visa. The letter of acceptance from IAE Pau Bayonne will need to be submitted with your visa application to the French consulate of your country. Please note that visa procedure can take weeks.

In France :

OFII : Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration (French Immigration and Integration Office)
– Long Stay Visa, with work permit: students will have to go through the OFII procedure within the first three months of their stay in France.

– Long Stay Visa, with residence card: students will have to go through OFII procedure to apply for their residence card within the first two months of their stay in France.
– Long Stay Visa, with temporary residence permit exemptions: students are not required to do anything when they arrive in France.

OFII procedure :

Once you have a definitive address in France, you must send to the OFII office the following documents by registered post with proof of receipt:
– Your OFII form, dully filled in
– A photocopy of your passport (pages with your photo and ID, the VLS-TS visa and entry stamp in France)

The OFII will first send you a proof of receipt and later on a notice to attend a compulsory medical examination.


Opening a bank account

It is recommended to open a French bank account as it will allow you to :
– Have a bank card and cheque book, which are useful means of payment
– Have a bank account number known as a “Relevé d’Identité Bancaire” (RIB), you will need to receive reimbursements
– Receive automatic payment, rent assistance or medical reimbursement payments into your account
– Pay for rent, electricity, gas and other daily expenses
– Withdraw cash

Documents required :
– Identity card
– Proof of enrolment at university – Proof of housing in France



– Health

If, membership to the French social security system is mandatory as soon as you register at the university. For your information, the annual fee for the 2018-2019 was 90 Euros. It must be paid upon enrolment.

Upon arrival in France, you may also subscribe to a student complementary health insurance by contacting insurance companies.

European exchange students already covered by their country’s social security should obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their social security services provider before coming to France. This card ensures that students have health insurance in Europe, and also includes health cover for trips within The European Economic Area or Switzerland.

Specific measures apply to students from Quebec. If you are in France as part of the BCI program, you are exempt from the system that applies for French students. All you have to do is to obtain a SE-401-Q-106 form before you leave your country.

– Public Liability

For your accommodation – private or in a student residence – you will be asked to provide a Public liability insurance certificate showing you are protected in the event of, for example, water damage and civil liability. If you are not covered, you can subscribe to a private insurance upon arrival in France by contacting insurance companies.










Résidence Universitaire Crous 320 – 390 €

Furnished private rooms in a residence including kitchenette, bathroom and toilet. Free internet access.

Bed linen and kitchen tools not included. Laun- derette service available under payment.
Strict conditions are applied.


Limited number of places

Foyer Jeunes Travailleurs 350 – 500 €

Furnished studio or apartment including kitchenette, bathroom and toilet. Free internet access. Kitchen tools included. Flat share possible.

Strict conditions are applied.


Limited number of places

House share
450 – 480 €

Modern furnished houses with all commodities to share between 2 or 3 students.

The houses are not located in Bayonne itself but in Anglet, Biarritz or Bidart.

Sept – June

Limited number of places

Home stay 350 – 500 €

Room to rent within a house or apartment.

Excellent option for immersion in France. Free access to the kitchen.

Open All year long

Important information

– Student is expected to behave in a responsible manner. You will be asked to sign a Charter for a Responsible Stay.

– If you have any disagreement with the landlord/family/residence/ atmate, you will be expected to settle the issue by yourself. Failing this, you may ask to IAE sta to help within reasonable bounds.

– In the case of wishing to change accommodation, it will be by your own responsibility to look for alternatives assuming all consequences. Some contracts require 3 months notice to be able to leave an apartment.

– Housing insurance has to be taken out within 24 hours of securing accommodation

– When you move into an accommodation, you will have to agree upon an inventory of xtures with the owner or real estate agent. This describes the state of the residence and any eventual property such as dishwashers, furniture, etc. The inventory of fixtures should be as precise as possible to avoid any litigation occurring at the end of the tenancy and it must be drawn up upon arrival and departure of the tenant.

– When it comes time for you to move out, you will need to give your landlord prior departure notice. This letter must be sent by registered post and should specify when you intend to leave your accommodation. It must be given in advance and the timeframe is subjected to the conditions of the rental contract.

– When you rent accommodation in France, you’ll need a guarantor in France. For international students who don’t have it and who are under 28, Locaviz can help you obtain a guarantor and nance your deposit. For students over 28 years old, you’ll have to plan to pay for the rent for the whole year in one or two instalments.

• Housing benefit – Aide au logement CAF

All students, including international students, may benefit from a nancial help to pay their rent. Once the rental contract is signed, students can apply for the housing benefit online : www.caf.fr

You will be eligible for Financial assistance if :

  •  You are staying more than 3 months in your accommodation
  •  You are an European Member
  •  You are a non-European member but you have an OFII stamp or a valid French residence permit

Note : if your VISA states “Dispensé temporaire de carte de séjour” and/or you don’t have the OFII stamp, you will not be entitled to this benefit.

Documents required :

  • Copy of your passport and your VISA
  • Copy of your birth certi cate translated in French – French Social Security statement if you’re under 28, or private health insurance statement if you’re over 28 or copy of European Health Card
  • Acceptance letter from IAE
  • Rent statement signed by the landlord
  • A certificate written by yourself explaining you hold sufficient income to study in France

Note : allocation of housing benefit is not automatic





University restaurant – Restaurant Universitaire (RU) de la Nive

Restaurant : Monday to Friday, 11.45 – 13.30
3 courses meal : 3.60 €
Cafeteria : Monday to Friday, 11.00 – 15.00
Payment can be done with student card AquiPASS, credit card or cash.

Library – Bibliothèque universitaire (BU)

Monday to Wednesday: 8.30 – 19.30
Thursday – Friday: 8.30 – 18.00
Saturday: 9.00 – 13.00
30.000 books specialized in Law, Economics, Management, and Literature. 400 review titles.


CLEREMO Language centre : http://cleremo.univ-pau.fr/live/

Offers French, Spanish and English classes for all level throughout the year. DELE and TOEIC exams available.

Internet and resources

– Following your registration at IAE, you will be given a student account : @etud.univ-pau.fr. It will allow you to get free Wi access within all campus premises. Computers room are accessible all day long.
– You can print and copy your documents on the photocopiers connected to Aquipass Reprographics system. Your student card allows you to get a 3 € free credit (about 50 copies) given by the University. Once you reach your credit limits, you’ll have to refill credit on your AQUIPASS Card. The cost per page is 0.06 € black and white A4.


AquiPASS Student Card

– The AquiPASS multiservice card is issued after registration to the IAE. This card is free of charge but in case of loss or theft, it is your responsibility to pay for reissuing a new card.
– The AquiPASS card is valid for one academic year. It is updated each year for re-enrolment. This update is necessary to renew access to the University library and restaurant.


The sports department (SUAPS) o ers various sports activities throughout the year. It is mandatory to enroll before starting any activity in September. See appended document.


La Maison de l’Etudiant

This structure offers different services :
– Culture : “Le Microscope” offers a rich and diverse program of events including concerts and other live performances (theatre plays, dancing, circus…). The cultural department provides counseling to student associations developing their projects in all areas (art, culture, environment, science, international solidarity …).
– SCUIO – Information and Orientation : this service provides information on courses and studies, advices and career counseling, tips to nd a job and internships.
– SUMPPS – University Health Centre : nurse, doctor, counseling and psychological services. On appointment.
– AquiPASS students card services


Students’ union BDE SoIxAntE-4


As a students’ union, BDE SoIxAntE-4 strives to help students enjoy their time in Bayonne, make friends and leave University with skills for a future career. We aspire to have a positive impact on the wider community in University Campus. We organize throughout the year :

– Students events

– Immersion week-ends

– IAE Gala : December 21th, 2018

– Conferences


e-AE Services

University of Pau and the Adour region | Qualicert

IAE Network